Friday, June 29, 2007

A "Small" Obsession!


I'm beginning to think that besides having an obsession with dolls, crafts, genealogy, floral crafts, and books that I have an obsession with "things that are small."

Now you might wonder what I mean by that - well, I mean objects that are "miniature, tiny, and smaller than normal."

Why would I think this? Well, for example, I love dolls, especially "small" dolls. In fact I got bored with sewing clothes for myself and switched to "doll" clothes. Why? Because they were "small" and took less time.

My dog is "small" and I have always loved "small" dogs.

I have an obsession with shoes - especially "miniature" shoes. Why? because they're "small."

I love creating ornaments or "ornies!" Why? You guessed it - because they're "small."

I like the "tiny" post-its the best.

My cell phone has to be "small" as does my digital camera.

And, here's the best one, my husband is actually "smaller" than I am. I'm about 2 inches taller than he is.

So, am I "small" obsessed?

You might think so if you had been with my Mother and I the last time we went to the bookstore. I, of course, found lots of doll and craft books that I just had to add to my collection.

And, then I found the "small" display of 3 x 3 x 1 1/4" boxes. They were the cutest, most adorable, display of tiny little boxes filled with tiny books, craft projects, and other items. I was there for an hour just looking at them and laughing my head off. I can't imagine what everyone must have been thinking about this 5'10" woman laughing her head off about a display of "small" boxes and books.

Oh well, I had a grand time. That is, until my Mother came over and said, "Linda, that's enough - let's go!" Even though I'm well past the age when my Mother can tell me what to do - and I do mean well past the age - I dutifully said, "Yes, Mother!" So, I picked up the 3 little boxes that I wanted and went to find a register.

I hope you're wondering by now which 3 "small" boxes I chose. If you are, here's the ones I decided to buy and why.


Why do I like it? Because it has the cutest little gnome inside and a tiny little book all about gnomes. Now I know that some people can't stand garden gnomes and some people can't get enough of them. I, personally, just love the little gnome and gnome history book. Maybe he'll bring me good luck. I'll have to put him on the top of my monitor for good "gnome" luck.


Fairy Fancies contains a tiny little paper fairy with two sheets of clothing and accessories to dress your fairy by and a tiny little book on "fairy folklore." I was thinking of giving this to one of my granddaughters as she is "fairy obsessed" but have decided to keep it for me. It just the cutest little "paper fairy." Maybe I'll put her next to my gnome on the top of my monitor. Then I'll have "gnome and fairy" luck.



Now you might wonder why I wanted this little box about calligraphy. Well, I have loved calligraphy and have wanted to try it for a long time. I've just never had the time to so so. Add that to a long list of crafts I want to try. In any event, I was intrigued by the tiny little history of calligraphy book inside the box. It also contained a few sheets of paper, a tiny calligraphy pen, and a tiny bottle of ink. I thought, maybe I could read about the history of calligraphy and give it a "tiny" try. Hmmmm..... Maybe not! So, my tiny bottom of ink and calligraphy pen are sitting right next to my gnome and fairy.

Reminders of things I'd like to learn and my "small" obsession.

Oh, well. There are worse things in life than a "small" obsession. Now if I could just get my Mother to go to the bookstore again I could get some more "small" boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment