Friday, September 14, 2007

Linda's Review of Origami Flowers by Hiromi Hayashi


Last time I was out shopping with my Mother at one of our local bookstores one book in particular caught my eye and I just had to buy it. It was called "Origami Flowers: Popular Blossoms and Creative Bouquets."

What drew me to this book was that it involved paper florals. Paper crafts and floral crafts. Not quilling, but still involving shaping paper to form floral bouquets. It couldn't get any better than that as far as I was concerned. Then again, I love everything. So, of course, I showed the book to my Mother. She was intrigued so we started to browse through it.

If you are a reader of my Linda's Blog you know that not only do I love dolls, doll making, crafts, and craft making, but I am also a floral designer. I love creating silk floral arrangements, pinecone baskets, dried floral arrangements, floral trees, just about anything floral. So, of course, paper floral bouquets piqued my curiosity. I suspect my Mother wasn't surprised by this.

"Qrigami Flowers" shows you how to take square origami paper and shape, bend, fold, and twist it into beautiful flowers. I was doubly thrilled when I looked down the list of flowers in the table of contents. My all time favorite natural flower was there - a dahlia. My sister and I have had a fascination with dahlia's since we were both little and love to grow them in our gardens.

In any event, 29 different types of flowers are shown including my second all time favorite flower - the Japanese Iris. Hiromi has included a rose, hyacinth, stock, tulip, carnation, violet, pansy, narcissus, dokudami, cineraria, polyanthus Primrose, gerbera, zinnia, Japanese iris, hollyhock, hydrangea, blue star, morning glory, begonia, sunflower, dahlia, clematis, lily, orchid, spray mum, cornflower, cosmos, balloon flower, and cyclamen.

The beginning of the book includes large colorful pictures of each floral creation. That is followed by definitions of origami symbols and shapes. Following this are the step-by-step instructions for creating each of the flowers. On paper it doesn't quite look as difficult as I'm sure it is. The instructions are very detailed and look like they'd be easy to follow. Hiromi also includes the paper supplies needed for each flower and any other materials that are required. Actual size leaf patterns are also included in the back of the book.

Besides the dahlia and Japanese iris I would like to try my hand at the violet, cineraria, zinnia, gerbera, sunflower, clematis, cornflower, and balloon flower. I just love the looks of each of them. Maybe I could get so good at creating paper floral creations that no one will be able to tell my paper floral creations from my real plants.

When I mentioned this to my Mother she just said, "Sure, honey." Translation - you can try it, but there is no way paper is ever going to look as good as the real thing. My Mother, of course, unlike me was born with a green thumb. She's had some of her plants for over 50 years.

So I said, "They might not be the real thing, but they sure would be colorful creations. And, best of all they are maintenance free. No watering, no fertilizing, no bug-spray. What could be better than that. Year round, maintenance free plants. I love it."

She said, "Just buy the book honey and let's go!" So I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment