Sunday, February 2, 2020

For The Love of Blythe!


I'm sure this won't be a surprise to any of you, but back in 2007 I fell in love with Blythe Dolls.  After all she is an adorable and irresistible doll.  At least she is as far as I'm concerned. 

If you haven't heard of Blythe dolls or know what she is she's an 11" fashion doll that is collected by thousands of young girls and woman all over the world. 

According to her Wikipedia page: Blythe is a fashion doll, about 28 cm (11 inch) tall, with an over-sized head and large eyes that change color with the pull of a string. It was created in 1972 and was initially only sold for one year in the United States by toy company Kenner (later purchased by Hasbro). In 2000 the photo book This is Blythe was published and in 2001 the Japanese toy company Takara began producing new editions of Blythe dolls. There is a network of hobbyists who customize the doll for resale and create clothing and shoes for Blythe. Enthusiasts share photographs of their work and other types of dolls on the Internet. 

So, when I came across two books of pictures of Blythe dolls back in 2007  I simply had to buy them.

I was so excited when my two Blythe books arrived  I just had to tear the package open. And, tear it - I did. I made quite a mess. I guess you could save my enthusiasm was a little over the top! Ya think?

In any event these are the two Blythe's books that I bought back in 2007 and which I have read many times. If you are a Blythe enthusiast I have to tell you they are fabulous.


Blythe Style is a delightful collection of photographs taken by Gina Garan of Blythe wearing 131 outfits created especially for her by some of fashion's best and brightest designers. This includes Gucci, Versace, Christian Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, John Galiano, Hysteric Glamour, Milk Fed, Paul Smith, Issey Miyake, Vienne Westwood, and many, many more.

It is a visually stunning presentation for all the Blythe lovers out there and definitely a book that the lovers of Blythe will adore. I have to say that Blythe did a fabulous job modeling all of these outfits. She may be a doll, but that doesn't make her any less of a fashion diva!

I absolutely love this book.


This is Blythe is a small book of photographs taken by Gina Garan of Blythe. In this book Gina has taken some of the most delightful and whimsical photographs of Blythe in various positions, locations, and with different outfits on.

She may be at the beach, gazing out over a lake, in front of the Eiffel Tower, catching her own reflection in a mirror, dressed as a nun, adorned with various hats, sitting on Santa's lap, with her head showing in a pile of oranges, using a video camera, playing with a Ouija board, in camouflage, etc. She is just about anywhere and all the pictures are just delightful.

Now you might be surprised by this but I haven't bought a Blythe doll yet.  It's on my bucket list of all doll related wishes and you can be sure that when I do I will be designing my own clothes for her.  Perhaps I'll create some Victorian dresses for her.  Now - why would that be?



No comments:

Post a Comment